Monday 30 March 2015

Arum italicum subsp italicum x A. maculatum a new hybrid for Wales

 At the weekend I found what I take to be the hybrid between a none native species Arum italicum subsp. italicum and a native species Arum maculatum. As far as I can tell this is a new hybrid for Wales. Growing on a road verge with both parents north of East Aberthaw, Glamorgan. In the picture above is the leaf of the hybrid. Below can be seen both parents and the hybrid. The hybrid has yellowish veins and some of the leaves have black spots. Arum italicum has white veins on the leaves and no black spots. Have posted some leaves of the hybrid to Wisley where they will do DNA test on my specimens. Now I have to wait to see if science agrees with my field observation!

1 comment:

  1. oh hi I have seen the same plant in 'Granville spinney' . Also growing in Granville spinney are A maculatum and A italicum. Should you wish to visit the spinney it's in north London what3words/// notes.hatch.rooms

    ReplyDelete